POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chipped Marbles. (20K) : Re: Chipped Marbles. (20K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chipped Marbles. (20K)
From: Richard Morton
Date: 19 Feb 2001 04:48:01
Message: <3a90ebd1@news.povray.org>
These look very nice but the swirly coloured patterns (I'm trying to use the
correct terminology here) don't look like any marbles that I used in my
youth. The patterns that I remember were more like leaves with two or three
twisted slightly.

Chips and scratches were very common, given that concrete and ashphalt were
the kinds of surfaces played on. The one on the right looks too severe, the
one on the left is better but probably needs more. I don't ever remember a
marble breaking so they must have been very resistant to cracking.

Does anyone remember the names of the different types of marbles and their
relative values. There was a hierarchy but can't remember,  other than that
the ones shown were the basic marble with the lowest value. Other types that
were higher value were :
- Dobbers (same as basic but approx twice? the diameter).
- Transparent (both normal and dobber size) in various colours
- Transparent with small bubbles.
- Opaque (white was popular), sometimes with swirly patterns on the outside.
- Ballbearings (metal both normal and dobber size)

 Can anyone remember any other marble jargon ?